
The second record is the Oldest Message in a Bottle. The first sketch is of Shetland, UK (the sight of where the bottle was found 92 years 229 days later) and the bottle is jetting out from the ocean, kind of like an "X marks the spot" concept. I put in some crop marks, it is a tricky composition for an article. I'm wondering if it will be able to work.
The next record is the Oldest Message in a Bottle. Basically, the sketch is of a giant bottle (there should be a scroll inside, I might have forgotten to draw it in). I'd like for the bottle to display the article title. I'm thinking that the label on the bottle could be partly peeled away and the text could be written on that.

the two little thumbnails are examples of page layouts.
Any suggestions on which record I should go with? Also, what is the next step for the assignment??
thanks,
Kacie
5 comments:
I like the shetland UK one... It has interesting negative space and I think it would be fun to put text around. :)
Kate
Hi Kacie,
I like the shetland,uk one also, I find it more interesting than simply showing the bottle. I'm not sure what you mean by "jetting out", is the bottle flying, or used as a symbol for the "X"? I kinda would like to see it floating in the ocean. Have you thought about a historical nautical map, the kind with sea serpents and little wave lines? Or maybe a tall ship, and also a modern ocean liner or a 747 flying over England. I think it might be cool to hint at the time involved, or maybe show the curvature of the earth that this bottle has travelled.
I'm not trying to make it more complicated, just some thoughts to consider, and remember there should be plenty of white space on the page.
The next step is a more evolved sketch, or color comp, due before Tuesday morning when I plan to view them and comment.
Paul
Not to be contrary, but I feel the tea party has more potential and graphic interest. (Maybe I'm biased, I've always loved the Mad Hatter / March Hare tea party scene) I'm thinking you're leaning towards the oldest bottle so I may not be helpful in this feedback. If the tea party piece had a larger (longer?) table, and if the precarious piles of tea party props were stacked ridiculously high, what a fun piece this would be. You wouldn't need to add zany tea swilling dandies, but you could. Could there be a giant tea pot or a giant tea cup people are swimming in? Good luck Kacie!
Hey Kacie! I also like the shetland one because of the interesting space. I think Paul's comment about a historical nautical map would really give this piece an aged feeling. Good luck~
Hey Kacie
I like both ideas, but I think the tea party might be fun as a stand alone image in and of itself. I think if you do the bottle you should play up different aspects of being at sea ie shells, maybe a small ship with water inside the bottle. fun concepts though
Brandon
Post a Comment