Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Most Successful Chimpanzee on Wall Street

Came across the humorous "record" set by a chimpanzee named Raven who chose an internet stock portfolio by throwing darts at a list. She defied expectations and was hailed a financial whizz (not saying much for the human financial gurus), and at one point had a website monkeydex.com, detailing Wall Street's first index of publicly traded Internet and new-economy stocks selected by a chimpanzee (wtf?)
In this sketch we see a chimp holding a cigar in its hand and a "banana martini" with its foot. A butler is seen cradling a top hat full of bananas. I pictured right away a chimp emerging from darkness so to speak, lit from underneath by the cigar. Not too creepy but not perfectly settling either. Definitely need to correct some primate anatomy, but overall I'm pleased with how it's turning out.
Lenny

8 comments:

Paul Olson said...

Hi Lenny, thanks for posting.

Nice idea, I like it very much. I appreciate your consideration of the particular light source, although right now it seems quite dark, and I do want to see a bit more of this very smart, or very lucky monkey, I like his attitude.

I wonder about the container the butler is holding the bananas in, looks like a top hat, is it the chimps hat? I might think about a silver platter, or maybe a stylish pillow with gold tassels or something.

Looking forward to seeing the finish next week.

Joseph Feinsilver said...

I really like this one you are getting better at painting in photoshop.

Leonard Dente said...

I HATE IT!

Why are you always painting monkeys you idiot?! Oh, okay APE, Mr. Smartypants. You should drop out of art school and become a trashman you talentless hack!

-Mr. Hyde

Jill Caturano said...

This is a ridiculous record! I like your idea very much and I agree with Paul that it seems a little dark right now. I think the purplish/pinks will look great with the bright yellow bananas. Good luck~

Paul Olson said...

Mr. Hyde,

Please shut up and leave Lenny alone, or at least. There are enough distractions around without you keeping him from his work.

Anonymous said...

i think if you move the monkey's hand it will break up that solid shape and add an interesting break. The light source helps out alot, you can play that up, even if you move the hand.

thank you for visiting mr. hyde

Paul Olson said...

Mr. Hyde,

Sorry about last post, I must have deleted something, whatever it was is gone forever.

Gregery Miller said...

lenny,
Take what Mr. Hyde says with a grain of salt, he may know some things that you dont, and visa versa. The sketch looks great. definitely push those colors out of that darkness, beside sthat the piece looks perfect, text will fit around nicely, GOOD LUCK LENNY AND MR HYDE!